Joan Ruth Bader Ginsburg (March 15, 1933 – September 18, 2020) was an American lawyer and jurist who served as an associate justice of the Supreme Court of the United States from 1993 until her death in September 2020. She was nominated by President Bill Clinton, replacing retiring justice Byron White, and at the time was generally viewed as a moderate consensus-builder.
She eventually became part of the liberal wing of the Court as the Court shifted to the right over time. Ginsburg was the first Jewish woman and the second woman to serve on the Court, after Sandra Day O’Connor.
During her tenure, Ginsburg wrote notable majority opinions, including United States v. Virginia (1996), Olmstead v. L.C. (1999), Friends of the Earth, Inc. v. Laidlaw Environmental Services, Inc. (2000), and City of Sherrill v. Oneida Indian Nation of New York (2005).
How to be Like RBG:
Work for what you believe in, but pick your battles, and don’t burn your bridges. Don’t be afraid to take charge, think about what you want, then do the work, but then enjoy what makes you happy, bring along your crew, have a sense of humor.– Notorious RBG by Irin Carmon
I hope these RBG QUOTES will inspire you to live a life of freedom and give you the strength you overcome difficulties.
1. “You can disagree without being disagreeable.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
2. “Real change, enduring change, happens one step at a time.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
23. “When contemplated in its extreme, almost any power looks dangerous.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
4. “Women will have achieved true equality when men share with them the responsibility of bringing up the next generation.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
5. “A constitution, as important as it is, will mean nothing unless the people are yearning for liberty and freedom.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
6. “My mother told me to be a lady. And for her, that meant be your own person, be independent.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
7. “Reacting in anger or annoyance will not advance one’s ability to persuade.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
8. “Don’t be distracted by emotions like anger, envy, resentment. These just zap energy and waste time.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
9. “So often in life, things that you regard as an impediment turn out to be great, good fortune.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
10. “Reading is the key that opens doors to many good things in life. Reading shaped my dreams, and more reading helped me make my dreams come true.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
Top Quotes By Ruth Bader Ginsburg
11. “I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
12. “I don’t say women’s rights—I say the constitutional principle of the equal citizenship stature of men and women.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
12. “Women belong in all places where decisions are being made. It shouldn’t be that women are the exception.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
14. “Fight for the things that you care about. But do it in a way that will lead others to join you.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
15. “I would like to be remembered as someone who used whatever talent she had to do her work to the very best of her ability.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
16. “Be independent and be a lady.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
17. “Yet, as the numbers reveal, women in law, even today, are not entering a bias-free profession.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
18. “My mother was very strong about my doing well in school and living up to my potential.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
19. “In every good marriage, it helps sometimes to be a little deaf.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
20. “Whatever you choose to do, leave tracks. That means don’t do it just for yourself. You will want to leave the world a little better for your having lived.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
21. “I am ever hopeful that if the court has a blind spot today, its eyes will be open tomorrow.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg
22. “Dissents speak to a future age. The greatest dissents become court opinions and gradually become the dominant view. So that’s the dissenter’s hope: that they are writing not for today, but for tomorrow.” – Ruth Bader Ginsburg